Sunday 20 March 2016

Unpleasant memories of Alun Cairns


I have no doubt that people can change their mind over a number of years but I give you these memories of Alun Cairns our new Welsh Secretary of State. The first is a debate at a large school in Porthcawl I am on the Platform with Peter Black, Wayne David, Alun Cairns and Janet Davies. A question is asked on fostering is asked from from the audience. I reply that all adults should if they meet necessary requirements should be allowed to adopt. I am asked again about gay people adopting . I reply that sexuality has nothing to do with your ability as a foster parent. Alun Cairns insists that heterosexual people make the best role models. Oddly his view is backed by Wayne David. Perhaps in the last 12 years they have shed their prejudices..I truly hope so.
The second memory is of debating with Alun Cairns on the expansion of Swansea Airport. Alun lays into the expansion stirring the crowd. Then from my pocket I draw a press cutting from the Evening Post showing Alun Carins celebrating and endorsing the expansion. I wave it at the audience and Alun Cairns loses his temper/ He shouts at his acolytes I told you Shrewsbury would do that.....how we change yet I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment